Taking the Benefits of Onsen Home
I’m a sucker for a good gift shop. Before most every trip, one of the first things I’m researching online is what the best local souvenirs are to take home from a destination. When it comes to Kusatsu Onsen, one of the best ways to remember the experience is to take home some of the unique skincare products available around town.
As a hot springs town, Kusatsu has no shortage of gift shops selling a range of products to help you turn your own bathroom into a spa. Most hotels also sell the products they offer for complimentary use in their guest rooms and on-site onsen as well. One of the perks of staying the night in Kusatsu Onsen is getting to leave your regular products at home and enjoy these amenities.
Here are some of the products you can expect to find either in your hotel room, in the gift shop or both:
1. Bath salts, which add valuable minerals to bath water like those found in the hot springs
2. Cleansing oil, to remove makeup
3. Toner, for additional cleansing and to balance the skin
4. Emulsion or milky lotion, to add moisture
5. Gel, for additional moisture and anti-aging benefits (many contain collagen)
6. Serums, which provide more concentrated doses of vitamins and anti-aging ingredients
7. Facial peels, to exfoliate and remove dead skin and impurities
On my second night in Kusatsu, I decided to treat myself to an in-room facial following my bath. I used the cleansing oil to take my makeup off and then followed with a facial peel. After that, I applied the toner, emulsion, serum and a moisturizer to seal it all in. When I awoke, my skin was glowing and I looked much more well rested than I was.
Following my two-night stay in Kusatsu, I decided to take home with my some cleansing oil like the one in my hotel room, a bar of soap and, most importantly, some bath salts. The onsen waters truly are magical. Just a dip and my skin felt softer and any redness had calmed. I was able to pick up 10 individual packets of bath salts for less than 2,000 yen, which means I have 10 glorious, restorative baths awaiting me at home! As for the rest of the products, there are options available at a variety of price points.
I plan to return to Kusatsu Onsen, but am glad I can still have a spa-like experience at home until I do.