Getting your Motorcycle License

Get your motor running!

There are a few ways to get a motorcycle license in Japan. If you have a license from your home country you can go through the process of having it transferred to a Japanese one. This process differs according the home country in question.

If you don't have a license you can get one by taking the motorcycle written and riding test at your local license center. If you already have a Japanese car license you will be exempt from the written exam.

Perhaps the most popular option is to go to riding school. In this case you will receive excellent instruction from experienced professional teachers. At a normal pace it makes most people a month to complete the course, including passing the final practical riding test.

After you receive your graduation certificate, simply take it to the license center to exchange it for the actually license.

In Japan, motorcycles are divided into classes; under 50cc, 51-125cc, 126-400cc and over 400cc. Be sure to consider the class you're interested in.

by Kenji